Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Rest In Peace....

Last evening Blacky, Jacob's goldfish, died. Let me clarify that... he didn't just die, he died right before our eyes. Surprisingly, Jacob handled it quite well. Eric swore to me that it was something I had done as I had just cleaned their tank earlier in the day. I noticed that he was swimming in the front of the tank and near the top - totally unusual since they are pretty skittish fish. So, not totally convinced that I didn't do something and trying to save my son's fish, I called Petsmart. After going through the whole scenario with "the fish guy", I was sure that I was in the clear and not guilty of wrongful death. By this time the poor fish was barely swimming and more or less just leaning on the side of the tank. Then, while I was still on the phone with Petsmart, he died! Right there - Jacob watching the whole thing. "Wait Mommy.... I think he might have just breathed". Ugh! So without any tears, Blacky made his exit from our household down the toilet. We offered Jacob to go out to Walmart last night and get another but he said he was o.k.

I was really hoping that they would die at the same time, you know so we didn't go back and forth with replacing one fish and then the other. So for the time being, I'm leaving well enough alone and waiting to see if he really wants his fish replaced.

By the way... according to Petsmart, Blacky had some type of bacterial infection prior to me buying him. Ariel is still swimming strong. We thought she was exhibiting the same symptoms but we really think that she maybe was looking for her tank mate.

So for now... we are a one fish family.

1 comment:

Organized Chaos said...

I didn't even know! Sorry I wasn't more sensitive to your loss and grieving this morning.

I'm here if you need a shoulder to cry on!