Saturday, July 5, 2008

Independence Day 2008!

We spent the 4th of July in OC again this year! Although we miss some of our long lived family traditions at home, we are making some new traditions!

This year we found out about a bike parade on the island. It started a few blocks from the house so we thought it sounded like fun! On short notice, I was a bit pressed for ideas on decorating our bikes as well as trying to find stuff, but we pulled it off! Really in my mind I thought that this was a little bike parade for the kids in the parking lot of a nearby church. Boy, was I mistaken! This thing was HUGE!!!!! We arrived at the starting point and met with hundreds and hundreds of people with bikes and wagons of all sorts! I wasn't so impressed with our decorations once I saw some of the very well thought out and planned themes and decorations! Then, I discovered that this parade was indeed a "parade" not just a couple little rounds through the parking lot! It went about 15 blocks! Again, so not prepared in my flip flops! Allison started out biking but after a few blocks dropped out! Jacob choose me and my flip flops to walk with him for the rest of the parade. The whole time I'm thinking how in the world am I going to walk home after this?! There were judges and prizes and such at the end. Jacob was sure that we would win something but I was sure we would not! There is always next year - which I might add we are already working our theme!

After a great day on the beach, we headed off to the fireworks on the beach with Uncle Ray! He lives about 10 blocks closer to where they set them off so we staked our claim to part of his beach!




Just as the fireworks ended, it started to drizzle. Perfect timing!

No comments: